After basic wheeling skills are developed, speed can be improved. Speed will be influenced by:
- Strength to push faster and bring the body back to the upright position
- Agility and power to maximize force on the first two strokes is key to increasing speeds
- Coordination to put pressure evenly on both tires at the same time throughout the stroke
- Balance and flexibility to keep the body still while performing the skill
- Endurance to maintain peak speed later in an activity
Most sports and physical activities require short bursts that include changes of direction and performing sports skills so being able to do them faster can only be an advantage.